Sponsored Links :
What Is Botulism Toxin ?
Botulinum toxins are used by dermatologic surgeons for cosmetic use to treat unwanted lines in the facial area. This was first developed in the year 1987. Prior to this in the 1980s these toxins were utilized for the treatment of few muscular disorders such as lazy eye and frequent uncontrolled blinking.
Botulinum toxins are available in two varieties type A and B these are pure matter that are obtained from a bacteria which facilitates blockage of muscular nerve signal. The blockage of muscular signal forms the basis of treatment of unwanted lines in facial area. A small amount of this is when injected in the affected area causes momentary weakness of the muscle thus fading away the fine lines.More...
The muscle weakness which is caused by botulism starts in the muscles that are controlled by the cranial nerves. These nerves control eye movement muscles, facial muscles, chewing, swallowing, drooping of eyelid muscle and the double vision muscles.
In the initial stages, swallowing problems, loss of facial expression may occur along with talking difficulty. This is followed by weakness in the arms and legs. Severe botulism may cause reduced respiration which is experienced as dyspnea and can lead to failure of respiratory system which in turn leads to residual Carbon Dioxide leading to coma and eventually death if untreated.More...
Botulism is very rare case of paralytic disease which usually occurs by using unhygienic and infected food. Botulism is named after botulus, which means sausage inLatin. Poorly treated sausages were the leading cause which was identified by German physicians in 1824. In 1895, scientists had isolated the bacteria responsible for botulism which was a very important step in history of medicine.
Botulism occurs because of botulinum toxin from bacteria in the Clostridiumgenus. The toxin interferes with the central nervous system and causes unclear vision, nausea, vomiting, breathing problem, muscle weakness and lastly paralysis. This can only be cured with an antitoxin which stops the toxin from attaching to the cells. This disease necessitates weeks, and sometimes months, of recovery and can even lead to death if not taken care duly in time.More...